BTEC First Engineering is a key course book covering the compulsory core units of the 2006 BTEC First Engineering schemes from Edexcel. Full coverage is given to the common core units of the Certificate / Diploma (units 1 and 2), plus the additional compulsory units for Diploma students (units 3 and 4), for all pathways. It also covers the three common specialist option units found within each pathway: Selecting Engineering Materials (unit 8), Using Computer Aided Drawing Techniques in Engineering (unit 10), and Electronic Circuit Construction and Testing (unit 19).
BTEC First Engineering students will find this a clear, straightforward and easily accessible text, which encourages independent study and covers all the core material they will be following throughout their course. Knowledge-check questions and activities are included throughout, along with review questions, innovative ‘Another View’ features, and worked mathematical examples, all of which relate to real-world engineering contexts.
Students will gain a valuable insight into various areas of engineering technology and related industries, providing a potential springboard to further training, eventual progression to qualifications within higher education, or to suitable employment. For those students wishing to progress to BTEC National, this text covers all the vital material required as a prerequisite for progression to NQF Level 3.
The book is supported with extensive online resources. At http://www.key2study.com students will find:
- a 2D CAD package that can be used to carry out the practical CAD activities described in the book
- downloadable CAD drawing templates and Visio symbol libraries
- an engineering materials database which can be modified and added to by students
- spreadsheets for solving some common engineering calculations
- additional software and an on-line quiz for unit 19.
In addition, for lecturers only, http://textbooks.elsevier.com has answers to the review questions in units 3 and 4.
A Curriculum Support Pack by the same author is also available for purchase. This pack offers an essential suite of teaching resource material and photocopiable handouts for the compulsory core units of the 2006 BTEC First Engineering schemes from Edexcel. Full coverage is given to the common core units of the Certificate / Diploma (units 1 and 2), plus the additional compulsory units for Diploma students (units 3 and 4), for all pathways.
Mike Tooley is formerly Vice Principal and Head of Faculty of Engineering at Brooklands College, Surrey, and is the author of many best-selling engineering books.
* Chapter by chapter match to the compulsory core units of the new BTEC First Awards in Engineering
* Additional coverage of the common specialist units featured within all pathways of the syllabus
* Packed with features to encourage learning – knowledge-checks, activities and practice questions – and complete with additional resources available for download, for both lecturers and students
University of Technology